The Vascular Access Specialty Nurse (VASN) will provide vascular access consultation and support to inpatients, outpatients, and various members of the healthcare team (HCT). Working with members of the HCT, the VASN will provide a specialized evaluation of the vasculature and vascular access needs to provide the appropriate access device to meet the patient's medical needs and preserve their vasculature. The service is beneficial to the organization to ensure patients have the appropriate access device to deliver the medications required to improve the patient's health.
Provides specialized knowledge, assessment, and skills in clinical setting in regards to obtaining vascular access, maintaining vascular access and troubleshooting vascular access devices.
Performs patient assessments of vascular access accurately and thoroughly.
Identifies learning needs of patient, family members, staff and faculty. Provides education to these groups as needed.
Performs the appropriate application of the device algorithm.
Shift: 7am-7pm (some night call)
The Department of Radiology, along with the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, operates at the global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, and we are a team of people striving to make a positive impact in the world.
Our mission is to design and apply technology that benefits patients and to cultivate leaders.
Patient Care: We serve our patients with the best, most advanced care.
Education: We train our students, residents and fellows to become future leaders.
Research: We produce radical medical breakthroughs and generate imaging advancements for personalized medicine.
We understand that in order to meet our goals, we must make diversity and innovation top priorities. By embracing diversity and inclusion, we are able to bring together a team of leaders and trainees with varied skill sets, perspectives and experiences. A diverse team is best equipped to foster the innovation that will meet today's greatest unmet challenges in healthcare
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
NURSING PATIENT ASSESSMENT & EVALUATION (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of patient assessments and evaluations in practical applications of a difficult nature. Conducts primary care patient interviews and physical examinations. Conducts inquiry with a thorough series of questions when patients state an ailment or complaint in order to accurately identify and elaborate on the problem. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to role model and coach less experienced peers.
CARE PLANNING (NOVICE): - Demonstrates ability to anticipate resource needs, identify distinct tasks, set priorities, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work within areas of direct responsibility. Competently handles multiple assignments often simultaneously by prioritizing work into manageable and measurable units. Ability to adapt to changes to patient care and area needs with minimal disruption and loss of productivity. Follows up to assure problems and issues are resolved.
EVIDENCE-BASED NUTRITION PRACTICE - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully search for nutrition evidence to answer clinical questions. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of preventive maintenance in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully maintaining equipment, products, or systems without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to conduct predictive maintenance on core products and equipment.
TREATMENT PLANNING & GOAL SETTING (NOVICE): - Demonstrates sufficient proficiency in developing a plan of care that incorporates treatment interventions focused on meeting objective goals. Develops and documents patient focused short and long term goals that are functional and measurable. Identifies the need for and referral to other services, as needed.
PATIENT EVALUATION (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of patient evaluations in practical applications of a difficult nature. Demonstrates experience in the evaluation process. Demonstrates a solid understanding of internal control concepts and experience in applying them to the diagnosis. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering patient evaluations without requiring support and instruction from others.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
Team Interaction: Acts as a go-to resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P3):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P3):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Internal Number: 1911478
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.