Gather, analyze, evaluate, and input patient information for completeness of medical record documentation with occasional guidance. Compile and process information that serves as a basis for strategic department decisions. Performs financial, logistical and/or clerical problem resolution related to the patient's medical record and billing issues.
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and 1 year relevant experience
Attention to detail with demonstrated ability to (execute laboratory-related billing audits, pinpointing errors, identifying how to solve them, and working cross-functionally to overcome barriers and ensure billing errors are corrected/resolved
Demonstrated Integrity with privacy data
Demonstrated outstanding customer service with comfort contacting people to ask questions
Prior work executing audits across the full spectrum of data entry errors
Some diagnostic laboratory terminology background preferred
Prior work with Manual Charge Entry
Full-Time, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, no weekends
Interacts with medical staff and hospital personnel to ensure appropriate documentation is completed and encounters get created.
Aids in resolving procedural coding, documentation and/or patient charge issues.
Performs audits and focused reviews.
Reviews clinical documentation for signature, date and time.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
TECHNICAL CAPABILITIES: DOCUMENT AUDITING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Auditing is conducting an independent review and examination of records and activities in order to test the adequacy and effectiveness of procedures, policies, standards, rules, capabilities and other aspects to ensure compliance with established policy and operational procedures, and to recommend any necessary changes.
MEDICAL RECORDS MANAGEMENT (NOVICE): - Knowledge of how and where to store and maintain basic records associated with job assignments.
DATABASE KNOWLEDGE (NOVICE): - Knowledge and understanding of a database and how data is organized so that its contents can easily be accessed, managed, and updated.
QUALITY ASSURANCE (FUNDAMENTAL ASSURANCE): - Understands the goal of increasing organizational productivity and individual performance by making the products and services within your work assignments more efficient and more effective.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been rated the #1 Hospital in Nashville and the state of Tennessee by the US News & World Report. VUMC's Diagnostic Laboratories - consisting of Laboratory Client Services (LCS), Clinical Pathology Services (CPS), Diagnostic Molecular & Genetics Services (DMGS), and Anatomic Pathology Services (APS) - have state-of-the-art automation and exceptional employees to meet the demands of accurately and timely performance of tests, while providing our patients and their families with enhanced and exceptional care. VUMC is rated in the Top 100 Most Wired Hospitals with advanced LIS systems and technologies.
Vanderbilt's Diagnostic Laboratories support adult and pediatric care for inpatient and outpatient settings. Our fast-paced, team oriented culture gives you the opportunity to contribute to breakthroughs with healthcare advancements. We support your career growth with a comprehensive medical laboratory science program and an established Professional Advancement Ladder (PAL).
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Internal Number: 1908322
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.