Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
At the Vanderbilt Eye Institute, we strive to make life better for adults and children with eye conditions including glaucoma, vision loss and diseases of the retina. We treat patients from across Tennessee and the Southeast. Our doctors, researchers and support staff use the latest technologies and methods, and we conduct vital vision research that translates to better treatments.
The Vanderbilt Eye Institute is a leader in quality eye care. We offer the latest technologies and methods while conducting innovative research to improve patients' lives and prevent vision loss.
We work hard each day because your eyes are important to us.
The Vanderbilt Eye Institute attracts some of the most talented doctors and researchers in the country. Our subspecialty ophthalmologists have completed a minimum of one year of fellowship training after residency and are board eligible or board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Vanderbilt Eye Institute's award-winning research staff collaborates with our doctors as well as other Vanderbilt departments to pursue discoveries that enhance the vision of patients everywhere.
Coordinates and supervises the operation of the ophthalmic program.
Responsible for daily operations, including staffing, policy and procedures, and patient/clinic flow.
Performs additional duties including responsibility for equipment repair/maintenance, purchasing new equipment, and basic ophthalmic instruction.
Leads clinic compliance and quality efforts, lead internal/external events including health fairs and screenings, collaborate with manager on budget, marketing, and clinic key stats reporting.
Performs other clinical support duties as requested.
Coordinates daily operations of the clinic including clinic flow, clinic schedules, clinic staffing, policy and procedures, internal/external events, collaborating with manager on budgets, key stats reporting, daily HR activities with staff, and marketing.
Maintains and repairs existing equipment and collaborates with management in obtaining quotes and information for new equipment purchases.
Conducts in-services and training on new equipment, procedural changes in the clinic, and for creating and maintaining current clinic protocols and competencies.
Leads staff in meeting compliance/quality initiatives including EOC, Hand Hygiene, Laser Liaison, etc. Responsible for outcomes in all areas of compliance and reporting out to manager.
Serves as a role model for all staff in AIDET techniques in all patient interactions.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to administer a program or product. Works under the direction of others.
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT (NOVICE): - Has presented course modules as part of a program. Effectively prepared by demonstrating knowledge in course content, structure and objectives, as well as audience characteristics. Demonstrated audience sensitivity and awareness. Responded professionally to content questions.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Keeps management informed on all aspects of one or more projects. Takes personal responsibility to ensure external and internal customer satisfaction is met despite pressures and/or significant obstacles. Discusses options with customer for alternative ways to meet expectations cost-effectively and efficiently. Commands respect and confidence from customers, and identifies, influences and creates business opportunities. Negotiates with customers for changes in service levels, understanding the business rationale for those changes. Deals with unexpected customer demands smoothly and without conflict.
Organizational Impact: Plans and sets day to day objectives for the team that have a direct effect on the results of the department or area that the job is in.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Resolves technical and operational problems within provided guidelines.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies advanced subject matter knowledge within a specific technical area and basic management knowledge to support the team.
Team Interaction: Leads/supervises a unit within a department or a small department. Typically, without budget or hire/fire authority. Role is typically a 'working' supervisor.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (M1):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (M1):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (M1):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (M1):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (M1):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experiences:
5 years or the equivalent experience in an Ophthalmic medical office / clinic in a leadership / management / supervisory role
Strong customer service experience is critical for this position
Ability to get the job done and maintain a smooth clinic flow
* This position is Monday - Friday (Days)
* Travel to other clinics may be required
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Internal Number: 1902525
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.