Health care is constantly changing, and at Banner Health, we are at the front of that change. We are leading health care to make the experience the best it can be. We want to change the lives of those in our care - and the people who choose to take on this challenge. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
You are the FIRST TOUCH POINT as the Patient Access Services Representative. You will be able to complete Patient Registration which includes; obtaining demographics, insurance information, running benefits & calculating patient responsibility, getting patients signatures, and collecting payments. The ideal candidate will possess excellent customer service skills and have a medical and insurance background.
This is a great opportunity to join one of the largest healthcare systems in the country.
Weekend rotations are required in this role. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential and an 18%-night shift differential when applicable.
*There is a Holiday rotation required. Must be able to work Independence Day, Labor day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day from 6:00pm - 6:00am*
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Nonprofit Banner Thunderbird Medical Center opened its doors in 1983 and has been growing ever since to meet the health care needs of the communities it serves in northwest metropolitan Phoenix. Today, the 555-bed hospital - one of the largest hospitals in the state - is annually ranked as one of the top hospitals in the Phoenix metropolitan area by US News & World Report and enjoys a reputation as the preferred provider of care to children and adults in the area in consumer preference surveys. The tertiary care hospital provides everything from routine to advanced, specialized care to both adult and pediatric patients. Specialized services include cardiology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, neurosurgery, robotic surgery, stroke care and a women and infants services program. Additionally, in partnership with top-ranked MD Anderson Cancer Center, Banner Thunderbird also offers state-of-the-art cancer care. Banner Thunderbird is certified as a Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center and features a 35-bed Level III neonatal intensive care unit that cares for babies of high-risk pregnancies and those born prematurely. Banner Thunderbird is also home to the only pediatric intensive care unit for seriously ill or injured children in the area. If you would like to contribute to truly leading edge caring, we invite you to bring your experience and skills to Banner Thunderbird.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for performing secretarial, reception, assisting psychiatric provider, and counseling staff. Provides outstanding customer service and ensures a smooth patient flow process by providing services in admissions, financial counseling, billing, scheduling patients, paperwork completion, explanation of outpatient programming. Explains and obtains signatures on forms such as registration, medical history, Conditions of Admission, Financial Agreement, Advance Directive, and Hospital Grievance policy. Receives referrals from the community, outside providers, and higher levels of care. Prior to patient admission into the program contacts insurance plans for verification of benefits. At time of service is able to receive cash payments and record accurately as well as enter charges and perform charge reconciliation. Utilizes special knowledge, judgment and skills necessary to provide appropriate patient care.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs registration processes, verifies insurance coverage and obtains authorization notification. Accurately documents information and performs data-entry to ensure maximum reimbursement. Obtains necessary signatures specific to patients' insurance plan. Calculates patient liability according to verification of insurance benefits. Collects deposits and co-payments. Provides financial counseling for patients and their families by explaining financial policies and providing available resources for alternative payment arrangements. Assists patients and their families with completing financial documents when appropriate.
2. Serves as a liaison between the patient, billing department, and payor to enhance account receivables, resolve outstanding issues and/or patient concerns. Enters charges for services delivered and does daily charge reconciliation in a timely and accurate manner. Balances cash drawer at the beginning and end of the day and prepares daily bank deposit with necessary paperwork faxed to PBO. Adheres to all billing procedures within specific timelines.
3. Responsible for scheduling of patients, families, and psychiatric provider appointments. Assists in scheduling new admit appointments within the outpatient program.
4. Optimizes patient flow by using effective customer service communication skills utilizing kindness, tact and courtesy to ensure positive patient response to service. Demonstrates proactive interpersonal communications skills when relating to internal and external customers. Uses discretion and is attentive to issues of customer confidentiality. Demonstrates skills in pro-active resolution and attempts to resolve scheduling conflicts.
5. Provides support to include, answering the phones, returning phone messages, pick-up/prioritizing/distributing mail, completing purchase requests, ordering supplies/forms, coordinating/scheduling meetings, maintaining and re-stocking therapy rooms and the patient lobby. Responsible for scanning medical records into electronic medical record in a timely manner. Initiates obtaining needed records from previous treatment(s). Follows guidelines and assists in developing procedures to ensure that medical records are in compliance with all state and federal laws.
6. Performs and documents blood pressure and prescription refills under the direction of a provider. Collects medication list and other necessary admit information.
7. Performs and records daily/monthly quality control on all office based testing and treatment. Maintains a log book of results and lot numbers. Labels urinalysis samples and prepares for laboratory pick-up. Uses body fluid precautions at all times and personal protective equipment as needed.
8. Maintains a clean, functional environment including cleaning and disinfection of equipment and storage areas. Disinfects equipment and instruments using appropriate solutions following sterilization procedures through Materials Management. Follow's manufacturer's recommendations and OSHA guidelines of handling hazardous substances. Performs and records daily/monthly quality control on all equipment.
9. This position works under the direct supervision of the Director of Outpatient Services, following established procedures. Uses established knowledge and problem-solving skills with to work independently in a fast paced, multi-task environment. Responsibility for ensuring efficient coordination of billing processes, financial counseling, client scheduling, maintaining and handling of documentation, and patient flow. Interacts with all levels of staff internal and external, including patients and their families, physician offices, third party payors, vendors, clinical staff, ancillary staff, therapist, nurses and case managers. Also interacts with physician in order to report and ask for or clarify information. Prioritizes data from multiple sources to provide support for the response of the patient and family in changes in health status. Primary responsibility is to main department assigned, however cross-over and assistance to other departments is required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge. All direct patient care personnel are required to demonstrate competent performance of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (BLS) techniques for adults, children and infants according to the standards of a nationally recognized, standardized, credentialed healthcare provider course every other year.
Minimum of three years experience in front office operations, insurance verifications, and insurance billing procedures. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Requires the ability to perform basic math functions and to assemble data into reports using spreadsheet programs. Must have the ability to handle confidential information and sensitive issues. Must be able to work under minimal supervision and make independent decisions using good judgment. Requires excellent communication, human relations, attention to detail and organizational skills. Requires the ability to multi-task activities. Must be able to communicate effectively to various ethnic and cultural backgrounds obtaining necessary resources when language barriers present. Requires the ability to perform efficiently with some analytical/problem solving skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Two to three years of experience working with patient flow preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R26791
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.