Find your path in health care. At Banner Health, caring for people is at the core of all we do. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
A fantastic opportunity at Banner Health, a leading company in innovation committed to "making healthcare easier so life can be better." We are looking for an Associate General Counsel, with approximately 3-5 years of law firm experience, preferably with experience in drafting contracts, analyzing regulations and policies, and client counseling. With your high motivation and energy, this position offers a unique opportunity to learn and support the growth of Banner Health for the benefit of the communities we serve.
As a Associate General Counsel, you will provide legal services as a practicing counsel, which includes interpreting laws, rules and regulations, as well as advising company personnel on legal rights, obligations and privileges. This position is also responsible for preparing and submitting legal documents, including contracts, policies and procedures, internal legal memorandum, as well as monitoring laws or regulations affecting the company.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits. In addition, this position may be eligible for our Management Incentive Program as part of your Total Rewards package. Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides legal services as a practicing counsel, which includes interpreting laws, rules and regulations, as well as advising company personnel on legal rights, obligations, and privileges. This position is also accountable for preparing and submitting legal documents, including new government applications, required governmental reports, contracts and internal legal memos, as well as monitoring laws or regulations affecting the company.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Assists management with a wide variety of projects requiring legal expertise, including preparing and reviewing corporate documents and contracts, reviewing and revising hospital policies to achieve legal compliance, reviewing proposed filings with federal and state agencies, and advising and assisting with legal disputes relating to contractual obligations.
2. Assists in protecting the company's legal interests and maintaining its operations within the scope established by law. Provides hands-on counsel to all levels of executive staff. Identifies and analyzes legal issues, drafts key documents, presents clear recommendations, and assures legal compliance.
3. Advises company officers, managers and employees of legal requirements pertaining to operations including changes in laws and regulations, which may impact the company. Assures corporate compliance with a wide variety of federal and state laws and regulations. Provides education and training to personnel by preparing and delivering presentations to medical staff, hospital personnel and outside individuals on legal requirements impacting the company.
4. Assists in enforcement of corporate compliance with company policies and with federal, state and local governmental rules and regulations.
5. Participates in the reconciliation and determination of the legal position on major legal matters and determines and coordinates alternative sources of legal services to be used.
6. The scope of this position encompasses all legal requirements which impact the company, including but not limited to human resources, compliance, professional liability, confidentiality, corporate structure, business relationships with government and private entities, government regulation, internal self-governance and virtually all aspects of health care delivery. These principles are complex, fluid and must be applied to an ever-changing environment.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Juris Doctor or LLB degree from an ABA accredited law school. Admission to practice in appropriate state court(s). Five years practice experience, including 3 years work involving health care law.
A working knowledge of personal computers, including word-processing skills. Inter-personal and professional skills to provide legal services in a useful manner to those at all levels of the organization.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Eight or more years practice experience in specialty area preferred. Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.