A rewarding career that fits your life. Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, apply today.
The Patient Financial Services (PFS) Department is responsible for the timely and accurate billing and collections of revenue based on CMS guidelines, payer contracts and federal regulations. You will have many opportunities to grow and advance in your career path. We strive to create an environment that engages employees to produce at the highest level and recognition for their accomplishments. All individual and team work assignments are designed to collectively meet Banner's goals emphasizing excellent customer service and making a difference in our customer's lives.
As a Patient Balance Management Patient Financial Services Representative you will have a direct impact on executing Banner's strategy of "Perfecting the Customer Experience" This position is part of Patient Balance Management and manages balance resolution operations for our customers. Basically our mission is to simplify the patient financial experience by providing our customers with access to the tools and information they need to resolve their balance with Banner. Patient Balance
POSITION SUMMARY This position coordinates and facilitates patient billing and collection activities in one or more assigned areas of billing, payment posting, collections, payor claims research, and other accounts receivable work. Works as a member of a team to ensure reimbursement for services in a timely and accurate manner.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Responds to incoming calls to provide assistance and excellent customer service to patients, patient families, providers, and other internal and external customers to resolve billing, payment and accounting issues
2. Responsible to process payments, adjustments, claims, correspondence, refunds, denials, financial/charity applications, and/or payment plans in an accurate and timely manner, meeting goals in work quality and productivity. Coordinates with other staff members and physician office staff as necessary ensure correct processing and PCI compliance.
3. As assigned, reconciles, balances and pursues account balances and payments, and/or denials, working with payor remits, facility contracts, payor customer service, provider representatives, spreadsheets and the company's collection/self-pay policies to ensure maximum reimbursement.
4. Builds strong working relationships with assigned business units, hospital departments or provider offices. Identifies trends in payment issues and communicates with internal and external customers as appropriate to educate and correct problems. Provides assistance and excellent customer service to these internal clients.
5. As assigned, works with walk-in patient's with accounts and processing payments.
6. Works as a member of the patient financial services team to achieve goals in days and dollars of outstanding accounts. Reduces Accounts Receivable balances.
7. Uses systems to document and to provide statistical data, prepare issues list(s) and to communicate with payors accurately.
8. Works independently under general supervision, following defined standards and procedures. Reports to a Supervisor or Manger. Uses critical thinking skills to solve problems and reconcile accounts in a timely manner. External customers include all hospital patients, patient families and all third party payers. Internal customers include facility medical records and patient financial services staff, attorneys, and central services staff members.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires knowledge of patient financial services, financial, collecting services or insurance industry experience processes normally acquired over one or more years of work experience. Requires the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision and to work independently. Requires strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide range of audiences. Strong knowledge of insurance plans with deductibles and co-insurances.
Strong knowledge in the use of common office software, word processing, spreadsheet, and database software are required.
Work experience with the Company's systems and processes is preferred. Previous cash collections experience is preferred. Bi-lingual a plus.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.