Explore and excel. At Banner Health, health care is a team effort. One might be surprised by the number of people who work behind the scenes and play a critical role in ensuring the best care for our patients. Apply today.
As an Oncology Scheduler, you will have the opportunity to participate to provide outpatient consults with physicians, advanced practice providers, therapists and other practitioners who specialize in oncology care. We have a team of highly qualified, experienced RNs and MAs who partner with our providers in providing excellent care to the oncology patient. This position will support and train in a variety of different areas to support both our Medical, Surgical and Infusion.
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week opportunity working Monday-Friday typical office hours at the new Banner MD Anderson facility at Banner University Phoenix downtown!
University Medical Center Phoenix Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is located in a medical clinic or physician's practice and coordinates the scheduling of appointments for physicians in the practice or surgical procedures, diagnostic tests, physical therapy, pain management, and other special tests as directed by physicians. This position is also responsible for obtaining necessary authorizations, pre-certifications and/or referrals.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides customer service for patients, families, hospital scheduling departments, and other physician's offices. Acts as a resource to resolve room availability conflicts.
2. Receives physician's orders and completes patient registration. Obtains necessary authorizations, pre-certifications and/or referrals. Works closely with the billing department to ensure accurate coding for all charges.
3. Schedules and re-schedules patients as necessary. Confirms patient's appointments for the following days and informs patients of physician's orders or special instructions prior to appointment or procedure.
4. Answers incoming calls, which may include screening calls, taking messages and providing information to patients, physicians, providers, hospitals and staff. Documents correspondence in the patient's medical record. Updates demographic and insurance information in the practice management system.
5. Assists physicians in examination room when required. Assists front office in answering phones, scheduling appointments, taking messages, prescription refills, locating information and other related duties when necessary.
6. May have supervisory accountability and/or provide direction to support staff.
7. This position has the responsibility of assuring efficient scheduling and workflow of the operation while maintaining outstanding customer relations. Interacts with patients, physicians, third party payers, vendors, registration and central scheduling staff, medical records, billing, and clinical staff.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
The position requires skills normally gained with 2 years of scheduling experience in a physician's office or hospital. Medical terminology may be required for some assignments. Must possess excellent communication, organizational and problem-solving skills.
Must be proficient with commonly used office software and have the ability to use software typically used for medical practice management and scheduling. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Knowledge of ICD-9, CPT, and HCPCS coding is strongly preferred. Sound working knowledge of various types of insurance plans and/or worker's compensation preferred. Bi-lingual in Spanish may be preferred for some assignments.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.