Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Admin / Clerical
VIS Pt Svcs - OHO
Patient Services Specialist (PSS) provides customer service, including telephone etiquette, cash management, scheduling of appointments, processes insurance updates and conducts patient check in/out. The PSS is responsible for maintaining a smooth patient flow. They are the first contact with our patients, therefore, must be extremely courteous, patient, and have a neat appearance. The PSS must be able to always maintain composure and politeness while dealing with patients, and they must also be able to work and interact as part of a team, with the skills to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
* Greet patients and guests upon arrival. Scan the reception area periodically to ensure that each patient is checked in. If uncertain, verify patient's status. Proactively communicate wait times or delays to patients at the time of check-in. Provide updates to patients regarding revised wait times. Maintain an organized work area and professional appearance.
* Respond to each call with the standard greeting: Clinic name or other identifier; Your name; answer call within 3 rings. Place caller on hold with permission from caller and for appropriate time frames. Provide complete transfer assistance to all incoming calls when needed. Demonstrate phone service etiquette.
* Demonstrate on-stage behavior in all settings viewed by patients or visitors. Demonstrate off-stage behavior expected in all settings when representing VPA.
* Initiates message by correctly including the following information: Name; At least 2 of the correct identifiers (MR#, DOB, SS#); Reason for call or inquiry; Forwards messages to the appropriate recipient in a timely manner following clinical protocol. Respond to all messages using correct spelling, grammar, and commentary appropriate for medical record documentation.
* Demonstrate ability to identify and proactively assist a patient or visitor. Provide accurate and complete directional assistance independently or using appropriate resources. Schedule, pull, and prepare patient charts for same-day visit.
* Organize and prepare patient records daily (pull patient charts and organize chart for visit); Ensure privacy by adhering to sign-in standard format; Ensure accurate patient identification by comparing sign-in data to 2 separate identifiers; Review "display notes" for Referral and Central Registration needs; Accurately determine which account to use for the visit. See Financial Screening Policy regarding payment responsibilities. Collect co-payments. Document in EPIC. Provide receipt. Determine if referral is needed from insurance and is in place for the visit.
* Verify demographic & insurance information via open-ended questions: Name-Accuracy and Spelling SSN Address Phone-Work and Home Employer Insurance Information Emergency Contact Information. If insurance has changed, update the registration.
* Scan insurance cards; Obtain card(s) from patient or guarantor and scan (if new or not in the chart), using designated device; Rank each card as primary, secondary, or tertiary.
* Imprint with correct patient data Release of Information/Assignment of Benefits Clinical Intake Screening or History Forms
* Maintain orderly appearance of reception area; Ensure method for accountability of each patient check-in; Proactively communicate with patients about delays; Manage reception area disruptions
* File lab slips, X-Ray reports, consult letters, and all other correspondence in patient charts; Respond accurately to Frequently Asked Questions
* Collect encounter forms and verify accuracy and completeness- Date of service; Encounter # and billing #; Attending Physician's name and number; Clinic location code; CPT codes and modifiers; ICD-10 codes; Referring provider for new patients when consultation charge is marked.
* Collect self-pay balances per clinic policy; verify whether patient's account shows a credit balance prior to collecting any co-pays; post professional charges. Work with Office Manager to reconcile charge batches, balance cash collections to Use Batch Report daily, reconcile cash discrepancies, prepare deposit and take to central depository or bank (daily), and reconcile petty cash and submit to central depository (daily).
* Complete Medical Records processes; prepare Outside Medical Records for access during patient visit, either by creating a visit folder for the hard copies or scanning in advance of the visit. Prepare paper patient charts for storage or consolidation with the main medical record.
* Respond to patient or other requests for medical record copies.
* Incoming Patient & Referring MD Appointment Requests are scheduled according to clinic standards.
* Tests, Procedures & Outgoing Referral MD Appointment Requests are scheduled according to clinic standards.
Our professional administrative functions include critical supporting roles in information technology and informatics, finance, administration, legal and community affairs, human resources, communications and marketing, development, facilities, and many more.
At our growing health system, we support each other and encourage excellence among all who are part of our workforce. High-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt Health for professional growth, appreciation of benefits, and a sense of community and purpose.
* Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance. * Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems. * Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job. * Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues : Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues' priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner. Delivering Excellent Services: - Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns in a timely manner. - Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support. Ensuring High Quality: - Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department. Managing Resources Effectively : - Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service. - Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources. - Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error. Fostering Innovation : - Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them. - Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action. - Adapts to Change: Embraces changes by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Relevant Work Experience
High School Diploma or GED
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or email@example.com.