Location: Austin, Texas
Admin / Clerical
Internal Number: REQ-020696
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Quality is in our DNA, is it in yours?
Clinical Pathology Laboratories (CPL) has an immediate opening for Division Counsel in Austin, Texas.
As Division Counsel, you will provide general legal support services for Clinical Pathology Laboratories (CPL) in collaboration with other corporate counsel affiliated with Sonic Healthcare USA (SHUSA). This role promotes Compliance within CPL by conducting inspections and audits, helping design training materials, and being available as a resource to all employees. Division Counsel works with moderate direction and creates a supportive climate by serving as a role model for behavior.
- Provide legal support for all departments of CPL, including Sales, Marketing, Billing, Compliance, Human Resources, Quality Control, Laboratory Services, Privacy, and Management.
- Collaborates with business leaders to ensure that company objectives are achieved through complex commercial contractual arrangements, including professional service agreements, sales agreements, vendor agreements, and confidentiality agreements. Drafts, reviews, and negotiates company contracts in a manner that mitigates legal and regulatory risk.
- Advises management and sales organization on various federal and state health care fraud and abuse laws including the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Stark Law, and the False Claims Act; Medicare, Medicaid, and other third-party reimbursement issues; and general health care compliance matters.
- Provides legal support to management on all aspects of the company's legal program, including advice and assistance in modifying, communicating, implementing, and enforcing the company's program to ensure continuous compliance.
- Provides day-to-day guidance to HR managers regarding various employee relations issues, including policy interpretation and compliance with various state and federal labor laws (e.g., Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, etc.).
- Assists with the management of outside legal counsel in coordination with the Central Office, ensuring efficient and effective use of resources.
- Advises staff and business units on data privacy and security matters, including subpoena responses, records requests, and HIPAA best practices and breach determination and response.
- Assist with the development and training on various legal topics, and develops and implements policies and procedures to assure company compliance with various laws.
- Conducts legal research and provides counsel on a wide range of legal topics, including: federal and state managed care laws; privacy; fraud and abuse; compliance; employment law; corporate governance; intellectual property; insurance; and health care regulations.
- Collaborates with the Central Office to ensure alignment of responsibilities with Sonic Healthcare USA initiatives
Education: Doctor of Jurisprudence required. Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science, or other healthcare field preferred.
Certification: Licensed to practice in the state of Texas required. Certification in Health Care Compliance and medical coding preferred
- Minimum of Three (3) years of legal experience, at least two of which are in a healthcare related field.
- Knowledge of Stark and Anti-kickback statutes.
- Familiar with Medicare and Medicaid billing requirements.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical reports.
- Ability to write accurate and concise clinical documents, memos, and required correspondence.
- Ability to collect and analyze data using statistical methods.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory clients.
- Experience in lease and real estate contracting a plus.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the CPL President
This role will have routine access to Protected Health Information (PHI). Employees will be trained on reasonable safeguards and are expected to maintain strict confidentiality, as well as abide by all applicable privacy and security standards. Employees are expected only to access PHI when it is required to fulfill job duties.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.